This is a brief overview of Dr. Rad’s philosophy and approaches to face lift surgery. For in-depth details please visit our primary webpage.
WHEN IS A FACE LIFT NEEDED?
- Face lift surgery is needed when facial tissues sag and hollow when non-surgical treatments have reached their limit of efficacy.
- Sun damage, smoking and stress accelerate the appearance of age-related changes to the face.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands and with Dr. Sherber’s maintenance treatments, results after face lift surgery last many years before a revision face lift is needed.
- Facial harmony, balance, proportion and symmetry are the guiding principles in Dr. Rad’s face lift work.
- Dr. Rad's face lift technique focuses on muscle tightening, skin lifting but without skin tension - this restores natural contours and longevity, without a windswept appearance.
- Since aging affects all areas of the face, Dr. Rad often performs Neck Lift, Eyelid Lift, Brow Lift, and Facial Fat Grafting with face lift surgery.
- Customized Aesthetic Dermatology care can delay the need for future surgical lifts, and can ‘protect your investment’ after surgery.
- Injectable Dermal Fillers provide temporary facial volume and contouring and Botox smooths dynamic wrinkles.
- Collagen-stimulating treatments such as Laser and Chemical Peels restore skin elasticity, and skin care treatments maintain skin health and elasticity.
HOW A FACE LIFT IS DONE:
- Dr. Rad works with Board certified anesthesiologists (not nurse anesthetists) to provide light general anesthesia which enhances safety and comfort.
- Dr. Rad places scars so that they are well hidden in the natural folds and shadows around the ears, and without disrupting natural hairlines.
- The sagging muscle layer is elevated and secured with permanent sutures.
- Excess skin is removed around the ear and along the hair line.
- Telltale signs of a bad face lift (pulled earlobes, open ear canals, wide scars, and a pulled mouth) are avoided - this is the artistic element that rare surgeons have.
- Oftentimes other procedures are done simultaneously, including: Blepharoplasty (eyelid lift), Brow + Forehead Lift, Facial Fat Grafting, and Rhinoplasty.
IS SURGERY SAFE?
- Face lift surgery is very safe when performed in the hands of an experienced, highly skilled Board certified plastic surgeon.
- Dr. Rad performs surgery only in an accredited surgery center or hospital operating facility.
- Medical clearance by your Primary Care Physician is required prior to surgery. Ample time is allowed for addressing medical concerns (such as high blood pressure, for example) prior to surgery.
- Dr. Rad does not accept patients seeking an extreme makeover or the looks of another person.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FOR RECOVERY?
- Pain is unusual. The most common sensation is temporary tightness as previously lax tissues have been elevated and tightened. Temporary numbness throughout the cheek and neck regions is typical but temporary and not bothersome.
- Bruising and swelling are normal and resolve over 7-10 days.
- While healing and recovery will be different for each patient, return to work or going to social outings about 2 to 3 weeks even after the most extensive surgery is common.